I've no idea how this blog will develop, suffice to say I expect it to evolve during the next three years; during this time I shall be attending a British university and fulfilling the role of a mature student. +++++++++If you'd like to email you can at+++ mature.student@yahoo.co.uk

Wednesday 7 October 2009

Journal - Day 1 - 6th October

So this is Leicester; multicultural, diverse and vibrant: my new home. Or to be more precise this is De Montfort University; multicultural, diverse and vibrant: my noisy new home. Need to find the campus at night? Just follow the sound of nocturnal shouting, singing students and piercing police sirens: the sound of a war zone; less death but the same amount of destruction.

You will be pleased to hear that I’ve survived fresher’s week with both kidneys functioning....to a lesser or greater degree; (or is it the liver that’s affected by alcohol?) It is doubtful if my entire fellow first year students were so lucky: pavement pizzas were in evidence during my early morning trips to the gym. Oh, the joys of excess; in this case the joys of cheap lager and unaccustomed spirits: welcome to the world of the party-student.

I’ve just experienced, for the first time in my life, the fun that can be had by clothes-washing. God, the laundry was a daunting place. I had to buy tokens for both the washing machine and tumble drier: marginally different sizes; 50 pence difference in value. Three washers, three driers, one large uninviting tiled space: grim. I bet you didn’t realise that it was imperative to buy washing detergent; I didn’t. Choices, choices, choices; tablets, powder, liquid or pretty plastic parcels: I selected the parcels; I’m a mug for alliteration.

House-mates, they number five; two guys, two gals and yours truly. The chaps are OK; the girls are more interesting. It is one of the girl’s 30th birthday on this Saturday and I think it fair and accurate to describe her build as on the comfortable side of average. The other lass is pretty, petit and young with an exceedingly clever brain. Oh, and please don’t think I’m saying this solely because she’s also aboard the good ship “HMS Demon Crew” and may read this entry.

I’ve discovered the joys of bin-emptying, cleaning the kitchen worktops, dusting and hovering. I’m just about to test my skills with the smoothing iron; there can’t be any mystery to this simple art. It’s strange but I’ve managed to find time for all these chores. Perhaps I am becoming a writer after all; sit down to write at the laptop and a supernatural power transports me to another part of my flat.

Must go; ironing beckons.